Greenrail

English Version

By Giovanni De Lisi – CEO & Co-Founder of Greenrail

Giovanni De Lisi tells his experience in the field of railway infrastructures mentioning the startup Greenrail, that is responsible for creating eco-friendly sleepers made of plastic deriving from urban waste and rubber deriving from the recycling of end-of-life tires. The market where the company operates, was dominated by wood and concrete, with products that had been engineered in the early 1900s. In the world there are one million 700 thousand kilometers of railway lines currently in existence, of which 10% made of wood and the remaining 90% made of concrete.


When he decided to start his start-up, De Lisi knew the reference market very well, having a family that deals with the assembly and installation of railway lines and in which he has worked directly for about 5 years. During this experience, he realized that the plastic sleepers, which were being developed at that time, could only be a substitute for 10% of the wooden infrastructures, and so the field of action was extremely limited. The idea was therefore to develop a product that could cover the remaining 90% of production with an environmental friendly material.

The reference market for sleepers is a very large market. Just think that only the sleepers replaced for normal maintenance activities are 140 million per year.

Beside the dimensions, De Lisi realized that the current dominant product, namely the concrete sleepers, had many limitations and, for this reason, he convinced himself to launch an alternative product that had better technical characteristics.

As a startup, Greenrail had to undertake an uphill path: the sleepers mixture was realized in collaboration with the Polytechnic of Milan after 35 attempts. Initially, the mixture of thermoplastic material, obtained from about 50% from end-of-life tires and 50% from recycled plastic with an internal structure of pre-stressed reinforced concrete, was considered impossible to be injection molded, the only chance for the company back then.

To date, they have installed the first sleepers with Emilia-Romagna Railways, and the patent is definitive in 80 countries worldwide. The advantages of the product developed by Greenrail are quite evident such as the reduction of up to 50% of the costs of the railway lines, 40% of the vibrations and 20% of the noise of the railway traffic. All these values ​​are important to participate in the calls for tenders that require low values ​​of “value engineering”, ie the cost of the product life cycle. In addition, the sleepers have obtained life cycle assessment certification from the Politecnico di Milano because at their end of life, after 45/50 years, they can be put back into the production process. After the startup foundation in 2012, the idea patent in 2013, and the international patent filing between 2013 and 2014, Greenrail has participated in several startup competition. The company was a finalist of the Gaetano Marzotto prize in 2013 and managed to win Edison’s tender for € 100 thousand in 2014, thanks to which it began the real research for the realization of the product.

In the last period, both customers and competitors, start to want licenses or the Greenrail product: this is because, in addition to offering the product, they bring to the territory a virtuous process capable of making the recycling of plastic and end-of-life tires is in motion. Just think that in India they are beginning to include in the supply technical specifications in the call for tenders, that the sleepers are made with plastic and recycled rubber.

By 2019, the research and development phase for the railway sleepers was completed, but this is not enough to stop Greenrail’s innovative development. In fact, the start-up is always projected to the future, trying to imagine how railway infrastructures will look like in 40/50 years. We can therefore talk about the shift from passive infrastructures to active infrastructures, capable of storing and transferring data, and of becoming “intelligent”.

An idea was also to integrate photovoltaic panels into the crossbars, based on the simple observation that 95% of their time they are in the sun and it was a shame to lose such an evident energy potential. So the product was seen as a container capable of enclosing systems of any type. In addition, Greenrail focused on the insertion of systems for detecting data relating to the diagnostics and maintenance of rail vehicles and on this project has created an important research partnership with Indra.
In recent months Greenrail has been expanding and making it known internationally, with customers and potential competitors, offering an innovative and completely eco-sustainable product, an example of a recycling process for plastic and end-of-life tires.

Versione Italiano

Giovanni De Lisi racconta la sua esperienza nel campo delle infrastrutture ferroviarie citando la startup Greenrail, che si occupa di creare traversine ecocompatibili in plastica derivata dai rifiuti urbani e gomma derivata dal riciclo dei pneumatici a fine vita. Il mercato in cui opera l’azienda era solitamente dominato dal legno e dal cemento, con prodotti che erano stati ingegnerizzati all’inizio del 1900. Nel mondo esistono attualmente un milione e 700 mila chilometri di linee ferroviarie, di cui il 10% in legno e il restante 90% in cemento.

Quando ha deciso di avviare la sua start-up, De Lisi conosceva molto bene il mercato di riferimento, avendo una famiglia che si occupa del montaggio e dell’installazione delle linee ferroviarie e nella quale ha lavorato direttamente per circa 5 anni. Durante questa esperienza, si è reso conto che le traversine in plastica, che si stavano sviluppando in quel periodo, potevano sostituire solo il 10% delle infrastrutture in legno, e quindi il campo d’azione sarebbe stato estremamente limitato. L’idea era quindi quella di sviluppare un prodotto che potesse coprire il restante 90% della produzione con un materiale ecologico.

Il mercato di riferimento per le traversine è un mercato molto ampio. Basti pensare che solo le traversine sostituite per le normali attività di manutenzione sono 140 milioni all’anno. Oltre alle dimensioni, De Lisi si rese conto che il reale prodotto dominante, ovvero le traversine in cemento, presentava molti limiti e, per questo motivo, si convinse a lanciare un prodotto alternativo che avesse caratteristiche tecniche migliori.

Come startup, Greenrail ha dovuto intraprendere un percorso in salita: la miscela di traversine è stata realizzata in collaborazione con il Politecnico di Milano dopo 35 tentativi. Inizialmente, la miscela di materiale termoplastico, ottenuta per circa il 50% da pneumatici a fine vita e per il 50% da plastica riciclata con struttura interna in cemento armato precompresso, era considerata impossibile da stampare ad iniezione, unica possibilità per l’azienda di allora.

Ad oggi hanno installato le prime traversine con le Ferrovie dell’Emilia-Romagna, e il brevetto è definitivo in 80 paesi del mondo. I vantaggi del prodotto sviluppato da Greenrail sono evidenti, come la riduzione fino al 50% dei costi delle linee ferroviarie, il 40% delle vibrazioni e il 20% del rumore del traffico ferroviario. Tutti questi valori sono importanti per poter partecipare ai bandi di gara che richiedono bassi valori di “value engineering”, ovvero il costo del ciclo vita del prodotto. Inoltre, le traversine hanno anche ottenuto la certificazione del ciclo vita dal Politecnico di Milano poiché, dopo 45/50 anni, quando arrivano alla fine, possono essere reinserite nel processo produttivo. Dopo la fondazione della startup nel 2012, il brevetto dell’idea nel 2013 e il deposito del brevetto internazionale tra il 2013 e il 2014, Greenrail ha partecipato a diversi concorsi per startup. L’azienda è stata finalista del premio Gaetano Marzotto nel 2013 ed è riuscita a vincere la gara di Edison ottenendo 100 mila euro nel 2014, grazie alla quale ha iniziato la vera e propria ricerca per la realizzazione del prodotto.

Sempre più clienti e concorrenti iniziano a desiderare le licenze o il prodotto Greenrail: questo perché, oltre ad offrire il prodotto, questi portano sul territorio un processo virtuoso in grado di muovere il riciclo della plastica e dei pneumatici a fine vita. Basti pensare che in India stanno iniziando ad inserire nei bandi di gara per le specifiche tecniche di fornitura, che le traversine siano realizzate con plastica e gomma riciclata. Entro il 2019 è stata completata la fase di ricerca e sviluppo delle traversine ferroviarie. Tuttavia, la start-up è sempre proiettata verso il futuro, cercando di immaginare come saranno le infrastrutture ferroviarie tra 40/50 anni. Si potrebbe quindi parlare del passaggio da infrastrutture passive a infrastrutture attive, capaci di immagazzinare e trasferire dati e di diventare “intelligenti”.

Un’idea è stata anche quella di integrare i pannelli fotovoltaici nelle traverse, basandosi sulla semplice constatazione che per il 95% del loro tempo sono al sole e sarebbe terribile perdere un potenziale energetico così evidente. Così il prodotto è stato visto come un contenitore in grado di racchiudere sistemi di qualsiasi tipo. Inoltre, Greenrail sta puntando all’inserimento di sistemi di rilevazione dei dati relativi alla diagnostica e alla manutenzione dei veicoli ferroviari e su questo progetto ha creato un’importante partnership di ricerca con Indra.

Negli ultimi mesi Greenrail sta continuando ad espandersi e a farsi conoscere a livello internazionale, con clienti e potenziali concorrenti, offrendo un prodotto innovativo e completamente ecosostenibile, un esempio di processo di riciclo per la plastica e i pneumatici a fine vita.

Social Share Buttons and Icons powered by Ultimatelysocial